Pele is in a Sao Paulo hospital. (Michael Lewis/FrontRowSoccer.com)
Pele was hospitalized on Wednesday to regulate medication that is used in his fight against a tumor, his daughter said.
The 82-year-old former Brazilian and Cosmos star is in a Sao Paulo hospital as he battles a colon tumor.
His daughter Kely Nascimento said that there was no emergency about Pele’s health.
In an Instagram post, Nascimento said there was “lots of alarm in the media today concerning my dad’s health.”
Hospital Albert Einstein released a statement that Pele was in stable condition after arriving Tuesday “for a reevaluation of the chemotherapeutic treatment of the tumor.”
A hospital spokesman said that the soccer icon “has full control of his vital functions,” and that he was not taken there for treatment in intensive care limits for treatment.
The tumor had been identified in September 2021.
Pele was a member of three World Cup winning sides (1958, 1962 and 1970). He joined the Cosmos in 1975 and played for three seasons in the North American Soccer League. His presence ignited a soccer boom in the United States.