In the wake of last week’s tragedy in Queretaro, Mexican Football Federation officials have assured U.S. Soccer that supporters and players of both teams will be safe for the March 24 World Cup qualifier at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City.

U.S. Soccer said Thursday that it had spoken to MFF officials, “who have assured us that the U.S. and Mexican fans, teams and players alike will safely experience one of the world’s biggest national team rivalries in sports, as has been the case at Estadio Azteca for past matches.”

At least 26 people were injured during a bloody brawl between Queretaro and Atlas fans on Saturday.

Queretaro has been ordered to play its home matches at an empty stadium for a year.

“We feel strongly that the pain resulting from the heartbreaking violence at Estadio Corregidora is not Mexico’s alone to bear,” U.S. Soccer said in a statement. “While we are opponents on the field of play, it’s important to remember that soccer is a global community, and our bond transcends rivalries, competition and results.

“We want to pause to express our thoughts over the unbearable and horrific tragedy that occurred at a league match in Queretaro this past weekend.

“Our thoughts are with the fans and families affected, and we stand by to support our friends in Mexico within the game and beyond.”