United Soccer Coaches announced the 2021 Media Contest award recipients Friday.
The organization annually honors those who have chronicled soccer’s personalities, problems, games, and development in the United State.
The following five individuals have been recognized in their respective categories:
* Deadline/Game Story: Angelle Cortes, The Daily Illini; “Illinois to play home opener against No. 2 North Carolina, hold grand opening of Demirjian Park”
* Feature Story: Meg Linehan, The Athletic; “‘This guy has a pattern’: Amid institutional failure, former NWSL players accuse prominent coach of sexual coercion”
* Column: Jonathan Tannenwald, The Philadelphia Inquirer; “Fire Vlatko Andonovski? Here’s why U.S. Soccer shouldn’t get rid of him yet”
* Video Feature: Nick Perenick, GoSuffolkRams.com; “Ram Cam: Men’s Soccer’s Nigel Leo”
* Student: Jared Kelly, The Hoosier Network; “ A dynasty of destiny: Inside college soccer’s greatest family”
The media contest recognizes writers and reporters with work published in a newspaper (daily or weekly), magazine, website, television broadcast, or blog covering soccer. Freelance writers published in newspapers, magazines or as special features also can submit published articles.