Carles Gil led MLS with 18 assists. (Winslow Townson-USA TODAY Sports)
NEW YORK – Major League Soccer Wednesday announced that New England Revolution midfielder Carles Gil was named its comeback player of the year.
Gil, a vital part of the Revs’ success, dished out a league-high 18 assists and added four goals as New England won the Supporters’ Shield.
Forced to sit out the majority of the shortened 2020 campaign due to a bone spur injury near his left heel, Gil led MLS in assists in playing 28 matches a year later, guiding Revs to their most prolific season. The Revs were 12-1-3 in the 16 matches in which Gil recorded a goal or an assist.
Seizing the spotlight early and often, Gil was named to the MLS team of the week on 10 occasions during the 35-week regular season. His comeback player of the year bid was solidified after the Spaniard recorded eight assists during a span of five matches early in the year – all victories. Gil collected 10 assists in the opening 10 games of the year – matching the MLS record for most assists from the start of a season.
Gil’s success led New England to its strongest regular season in the MLS Original’s 26-year history, as the Revs won the Supporters’ Shield, the No. 1 overall seed in the Eastern Conference for a first round bye, and a berth to the 2022 Concacaf Champions League.
The Revs are set to host an Eastern Conference semifinal in the MLS Cup Playoffs against New York City FC on Nov. 30 6:30 p.m. ET / FS1, FOX Deportes).
The comeback player of the year award was voted on by MLS club technical staff, media and current MLS players. Below is a breakdown of the voting results:
|Gil, Carles (NE)||19.80%||9.10%||16.70%||15.20%|
|Hernandez, Javier ‘Chicharito’ (LA)||6.30%||12.10%||19.70%||12.70%|
|Salloi, Daniel (SKC)||8.30%||15.20%||14.30%||12.60%|
|Blanco, Sebastian (POR)||8.30%||15.20%||9.40%||10.97%|
|Martinez, Josef (ATL)||7.30%||6.10%||14.30%||9.23%|
MLS Comeback Player of the Year Winners
- 2021: Carles Gil – New England Revolution
- 2020: Bradley Wright-Phillips – Los Angeles Football Cub
- 2019: Jordan Morris – Seattle Sounders FC
- 2018: Gyasi Zardes – Columbus Crew SC
- 2017: Clint Dempsey – Seattle Sounders FC
- 2016: Chris Pontius – Philadelphia Union
- 2015: Tim Melia – Sporting Kansas City
- 2014: Rodney Wallace – Portland Timbers
- 2013: Kevin Alston – New England Revolution
- 2012: Eddie Johnson – Seattle Sounders FC
- 2011: David Beckham – LA Galaxy
- 2010: Bobby Convey – San Jose Earthquakes
- 2009: Zach Thornton – Chivas USA
- 2008: Kenny Cooper – FC Dallas
- 2007: Eddie Johnson – Kansas City Wizards
- 2006: Richard Mulrooney – FC Dallas
- 2005: Chris Klein – Kansas City Wizards
- 2004: Brian Ching – San Jose Earthquakes
- 2003: Chris Armas – Chicago Fire
- 2002: Chris Klein – Kansas City Wizards
- 2001: Troy Dayak – San Jose Earthquakes
- 2000: Tony Meola – Kansas City Wizards