Tani Oluwaseyi returned to play the final regular season game. (Photo courtesy of St. John’s)

QUEENS, N.Y. – A 94th-minute Golden Goal off the foot of Hemi Nasser gave Butler University a 1-0 Big East victory over the No. 24 St. John’s University men Wednesday night at Belson Stadium.

Despite coming out on the wrong end of the decision on Wednesday night, the Red Storm (10-5-2, 5-3-2) will finish the regular season third in the conference standings, good enough for the third seed and a quarterfinal home match in the Big East Championship. The Johnnies, who were picked to finish sixth in the preseason coaches’ poll, will host a rematch with sixth-seeded Butler on Saturday at 5 p.m. in Queens.

Prior to Wednesday’s match, the athletic department honored the contributions of seven Johnnies in their final year of eligibility with the program. Lucas Bartlett, Anthony Herbert, Johan Aquilon, Matt Chandler, Tani Oluwaseyi, Rafael Bustamante and Matt Forster were recognized in an on-field ceremony with head coach Dr. David Masur and deputy athletic director Dr. John Diffley.

The two teams were evenly matched throughout the contest, as each side fired off 14 shots. St. John’s sent six of those tries on target, while the Bulldogs placed seven on the cage. Corner kicks were 8-3 in favor of the Red Storm, who went into overtime for the seventh time this season. St. John’s, which went to overtime in five straight contests to start the month of October, is 2-3-2 in matches going longer than 90 minutes.

Goalkeeper Luka Gavran, who entered the match ranked in the top five nationally in both goals against average and save percentage, matched a season-high with six stops on the evening.

Oluwaseyi, a two-time First Team All-Big East selection and the 2019 Big East offensive player of the year, returned to the lineup for the first time this season. The Mississauga, Ont., native underwent knee surgery in the summer that was projected to sideline him for the entire season, but Oluwaseyi fought to make it back onto the pitch for his Senior Night.

The field tilted heavily in favor of the Red Storm in the match’s opening minutes, as Butler keeper Gabriel Gjergji was forced to make an acrobatic save on Adrian Roseth just 45 seconds into the action.

Arguably the best chance of the night for St. John’s came in the 67th minute, as Bartlett, the team’s leading scorer, headed down a corner kick with authority. Gjergji, however, was able to make the stop and preserve the scoreless tie.