Josef Martinez had the most popular jersey this season. (Photo courtesy of MLS)
Major League Soccer Wednesday unveiled the 2021 best-selling MLS jerseys.
Atlanta United forward Josef Martínez finds himself atop the list of best-selling adidas jerseys in MLS for the 2021 regular season sold on MLSstore.com. Martinez has been among the top five best-selling jerseys since joining MLS in 2017. The 2021 season marks his first year at No. 1.
Seattle Sounders FC striker Raúl Ruidíaz, second in goals scored this season, also is second on the list of best-selling jerseys. Los Angeles FC winger Carlos Vela is third. LA Galaxy star Javier (Chicharito) Hernández and Sounders midfielder Nicolás Lodeiro rounded out the top five.
Fifteen MLS clubs were represented. For the third consecutive year, Seattle Sounders FC lead all clubs with four jerseys in the top 25 – Ruidíaz (No. 2), Lodeiro (No. 5), Cristian Roldan (No. 6) and Fredy Montero (No. 8). Austin FC and LA Galaxy each have three jerseys ranking in the top 25, Cecilio Domínguez, Alex Ring and Tom ás Pochettino for Austin FC and Hernández, Jonathan dos Santos and Sebastian Lletget for LA Galaxy.
No player from the Red Bulls or New York City FC were on the top list.
1. Josef Martínez (Atlanta United)
2. Raúl Ruidíaz (Seattle Sounders FC)
3. Carlos Vela (LAFC)
4. Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández (LA Galaxy)
5. Nicolás Lodeiro (Seattle Sounders FC)
6. Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC)
7. Miles Robinson (Atlanta United)
8. Fredy Montero (Seattle Sounders FC)
9. Jonathan dos Santos (LA Galaxy)
10. Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy)
11. Nani (Orlando City)
12. Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
13. Cecilio Domínguez (Austin FC)
14. Emanuel Reynoso (Minnesota United FC)
15. Brenner (FC Cincinnati)
16. Lucas Zelarayán (Columbus Crew)
17. Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC)
18. Johnny Russell (Sporting Kansas City)
19. Diego Valeri (Portland Timbers)
20. Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union)
21. Gonzalo Higuaín (Inter Miami CF)
22. Diego Chará (Portland Timbers)
23. Alex Ring (Austin FC)
24. Tomás Pochettino (Austin FC)
25. Hany Mukhtar (Nashville SC)
Fourteen countries were represented (determined by birthplace):
Argentina (Emanuel Reynoso, Lucas Zelarayán, Diego Valeri, Tomás Pochettino)
Colombia (Fredy Montero, Diego Chará)
Finland (Alex Ring)
France (Gonzalo Higuaín)*
Germany (Hany Mukhtar)
Mexico (Carlos Vela, Javier Chicharito’ Hernández, Jonathan dos Santos)
Paraguay (Cecilio Domínguez)
Peru (Raúl Ruidíaz)
Scotland (Johnny Russell)
Uruguay (Nicolás Lodeiro)
United States (Cristian Roldan, Miles Robinson, Sebastian Lletget, Chris Wondolowski, Walker Zimmerman, Alejandro Bedoya)
Venezuela (Josef Martínez)
*Born in France. Played for Argentine National Team.
Six players have featured for the U.S. men’s national team – Cristian Roldan, Miles Robinson, Sebastian Lletget, Chris Wondolowski, Walker Zimmerman, Alejandro Bedoya.
Nine other players have featured in a World Cup match for their national teams – Alejandro Bedoya (USA), Jonathan dos Santos (Mexico), Javier Chicharito’ Hernandez (Mexico), Gonzalo Higuaín (Argentina), Nicolas Lodeiro (Uruguay), Nani (Portugal), Raúl Ruidíaz (Peru), Carlos Vela (Mexico), Chris Wondolowski (USA)