Sean Johnson is a longshot to play for the USA. (Photo courtesy of MLS)
Four New York City FC players have been called into their respective national teams for World Cup qualifiers this month.
Goalkeeper and captain Sean Johnson has been called up to represent the U.S. men’s national team, and will be joined on international duty by defenders Alex Callens, Maxime Chanot and Gudi Thórarinsson.
Callens is hoping he can maintain his place in the starting XI of Ricardo Gareca’s side when Peru hosts Chile Thursday.
Peru will venture abroad to face Bolivia on October 10, and Argentina October 14.
* 10/7 vs. Chile @ 9:00PM EST (Watch via Fubo Sports)
* 10/10 vs. Bolivia @ 4:00PM EST (Watch via Fubo Sports)
* 10/14 vs. Argentina @ 7:30PM EST (Watch via Fubo Sports)
The 31-year center back has two games to prepare for with Luxembourg, starting with a visit from Serbia Oct. 9.
Luxembourg finds itself in a difficult position in its qualification group, and Chanot should be tested when his side take on Portugal Oct. 12.
* 10/9 vs. Serbia @ 2:45PM EST (Watch via ESPN+)
* 10/12 vs. Portugal @ 2:45PM EST
He has been enjoying a consistent run of games for his country, and he will hope that can continue when Iceland welcomes Armenia Oct. 8.
Iceland will prepare for a meeting with Liechtenstein on October 11.
* 10/8 vs. Armenia @ 2:45PM EST (Watch via ESPN+)
* 10/11 vs. Liechtenstein @ 2:45PM EST
The goalkeeper will prepare as part of Gregg Berhalter’s squad, with the first taking place against Jamaica Thursday. Johnson is expected to start on the bench as New England Revolution keeper Matt Turnere has secured a spot in the net.
The USMNT travels to Panama Oct. 10, before returning to the U.S. for a match against Costa Rica Oct. 13.
* 10/7 vs. Jamaica @ 7:30PM EST (Watch via ESPN+/ESPN2)
* 10/10 vs. Panama @ 6:00PM EST (Watch via Paramount+)
* 10/13 vs. Costa Rica @ 7:00PM EST (Watch via ESPN2)