Einar Lye (left) scored twice in the opening 12 minutes for the Red Storm. (Photo courtesy of St. John’s)

QUEENS, N.Y. – Brandon Knapp buried a penalty kick 22 seconds into extratime, as the St. John’s University men’s soccer survived a late scare to beat Boston University, 3-2, at Belson Stadium Friday night.

Knapp’s second goal of the season came after a tense end to regulation, as the Johnnies squandered a 2-0 lead in the final 25 minutes. Einar Lye scored in the sixth and 12th minutes for the host.

On the opening possession of extratime, Wesley Leggett was taken down in the box by BU defender Kenneth Huang, setting up the penalty kick. The senior captain delivered a booming right-footed strike into the upper 90.

Lye’s two-goal effort marked the Norwegian’s third brace in 35 career games at St. John’s. He achieved the feat as a sophomore against Iona College and Villanova University.

Four Johnnies picked up an assist. Knapp recorded one, his fourth this season while Lucas Bartlett, Andrew Bennett and Adrian Roseth each added a helper.

St. John’s wasted no time finding the back of the net, as Lye scored his first goal 5:53 into the game. The sequence began at the top of the box, as Bennett touched a ball to a streaking Knapp, who then quickly played it over to his right for Lye. The senior finished to the short side past a diving goalkeeper Francesco Montali.

Less than six minutes later, Lye struck again following another pair of crafty passes. Roseth and Bartlett played a two-man game in front of the Red Storm bench before Bartlett sent a right-footed cross into the penalty area. Lye tucked a header inside that same right post and put the Red Storm on top, 2-0.

The Red Storm recorded one more quality chance in the first half, as Jared Juleau sent a shot on target that was stopped by Montali, his former Red Bulls Academy teammate.

Waldemar Kattrup rang a shot off the crossbar that would have extended the St. John’s lead to three goals, Brian Hernandez found the back of the net to cut the BU deficit to one in the 65th minute.

With just over six minutes remaining in regulation, Hernandez struck again for the Terriers on a long try from outside the box.