Alex Callens is one of four NYCFC defenders called in for WCQ. (Photo courtesy of MLS)
New York City FC has four defenders called into their respective national teams for World Cup qualifying matches in September.
Alex Callens, Maxime Chanot, James Sands and Gudi Thórarinsson were summoned.
He will be part of head coach Ricardo Gareca’s Peru squad ahead of games against Uruguay, Venezuela and Brazil.
Callens was part of Peru’s Copa América team and helped his team to a fourth-place finish.
* 9/2 vs. Uruguay @ 9 p.m. ET (Watch via Fubo Sports)
* 9/5 vs. Venezuela @ 9 p.m. ET (Watch via Fubo Sports)
* 9/9 vs. Brazil @ 8:30 p.m. ET (Watch via Fubo Sports)
Chanot has amassed more than 40 caps for Luxembourg, since making his debut in June 2013.
The Red Lions are preparing for WCQ against Azerbaijan and Serbia before facing Qatar in a friendly.
* 9/1 vs. Azerbaijan @ 2:45 p.m. ET (Watch via the TUDN App)
* 9/4 vs. Serbia @ noon ET
* 9/7 vs. Qatar @ 2:45 p.m. ET
Sands, the club’s first Homegrown signing, made his senior international debut with the U.S. this summer during the Gold Cup, and that form has earned him another selection by head coach Gregg Berhalter.
Sands and his teammates will start the month on the road as they face El Salvador before returning to the USA to take on Canada. They finish out the first month of WCQ with a trip to Honduras.
* 9/2 vs. El Salvador @ 10:05 p.m. ET (Watch via CBS Sports Network/Paramount +)
* 9/5 vs. Canada @ 8 p.m. ET (Watch via FS1)
* 9/8 vs. Honduras @ 10:05 p.m. ET (Watch via Paramount +)
Thórarinsson had another call-up to the Iceland national team after returning to the fold earlier this year.
Iceland will participate in WCQ against Romania, North Macedonia and Germany in European Group J.
* 9/2 vs. Romania @ 2:45 p.m. ET
* 9/5 vs. North Macedonia @ noon ET
* 9/8 vs. Germany @ 2:45 p.m. ET