Two road matches within two days and two late-game equalizers for Tiffany Weimer. (Photo courtesy of Clarus Studios)

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. – For the second time in three days, the Connecticut Fusion hit the road to face a club from the Empire State, this time squaring off against the Long Island Rough Riders. And for the second time in three days, it was Tiffany Weimer who found her name on the scoresheet, scoring both goals in the 2-2 draw at Adelphi University Sunday evening.

Weimer netted an 81st-minute equalizer at the Syracuse Development Academy Friday night.

The Fusion (3-0-3, 12 points) kept itself in the picture for the top spot in the United Women’s Soccer East Conference, as the team trails FC Buffalo Women by one point. The Rough Riders (0-1-3, 3 points), have drawn three consecutive matches, are in a tie for 10th place in the 12-team division.

After a quiet start to the match, Long Island earned a free kick 30 yards out in the 21st minute and saw Jordan Littleboy’s stinging effort parried wide of goal by goalkeeper Allie Augur. But that signal of intent from the hosts paid off in the 29th minute as Jeanine Nunez laced a right-footed effort from the edge of the box over the outstretched arms of Augur to give the Rough Riders a 1-0 lead.

Connecticut was quick to respond coming out of the interval, as the visitors earned three successive corners in the opening 90 seconds of the second half, only to see the Rough Riders’ defense foil each attempt.

Weimer had seen enough and took matters into her own hands. From a throw-in by the far corner flag in the 48th minute, Weimer cut onto her right foot and ripped a curling effort from the far corner of the box that landed in the top corner, leveling the score at 1-1.

Long Island responded quickly and took back the lead in the 55th minute as Littleboy launched a ball over the top into the path of Nunez, who beat the offside trap and scored her second goal. This time Nunez used her left foot to blast a shot past Augur.

The Fusion found an equalizer in the 72nd minute as Kelly Quigley’s diagonal ball landed at the feet of Weimer, who played a lovely give-and-go with Tori Sousa and the top of the box. That put Weimer through before she buried the effort past keeper Melissa Guglielmo.

The visitors kept putting on the pressure to net a late winner and nearly got the third goal in the 90th minute as Sousa got free inside the six-yard box and latched onto a perfect cross from Qugley. Sousa, however, skied her volley from close range. That was the last chance of the match as the referee blew for full time moments later.

The Fusion welcome its Nutmeg State rivals, Connecticut Rush to the Farmington Sports Arena Friday at 7 p.m.