Allie Augur stopped seven shots to preserve a point for the Fusion. (Photo courtesy of the Connecticut Fusion)

FARMINGTON, Conn. – The Connecticut Fusion and its local rival the New England Mutiny played to a 2-2 draw in United Women’s Soccer action in chilly and windy conditions at the Farmington Sports Arena Saturday night.

The Fusion stand on seven points with a 2-0-1 record and ended Saturday evening still on top of the UWS East Conference standings. Connecticut could fall to second place by the end of the weekend if New Jersey Copa FC pick up three points at the Lancaster Inferno Sunday afternoon. The Mutiny are tied for fourth with five points (1-0-2).

The visitors started brightly in the opening 15 minutes as Lauren Berman and Jaydah Bedoya carved out clear-cut chances inside the area, but failed to hit the target.

With 20 minutes gone, Connecticut’s Maegen Doyle struck free kick from the edge of the penalty area into the bottom right corner to give the hosts a 1-0 lead. When these two teams had last met in the 2019 UWS season up in Massachusetts, Doyle scored on a 30-yard free kick.

New England, as it had in the first half, started on the front foot in the second half, and needed less than 15 minutes to net the equalizer. Alexis Legowski won a ball in the midfield and made a darting run forward before finding Berman out to her left. The former Boston College product cut in onto her right foot and blistered a shot into the upper corner.

In the 68th minute, the Mutiny took a 2-1 lead as Catherine Barry converted a penalty kick after being taken down in the box moments prior.

The Fusion was handed a lifeline a few minutes later as from a Mutiny goal kick. Goalkeeper Bella Mendoza took her eye off the ball when receiving a back pass from a defender and saw it agonizingly crawl across the goal line, allowing the Fusion to level the score at 2-2.

Both teams created chances in the final quarter hour to pick up all three points but it was the Fusions keeper Allie Augur who stood tall late and made three of her seven saves in the final 10 minutes. One of the saves came on the last kick of the game in stoppage time after she parried away a cross from the right flank. She was able to dart across to her near post and smother Berman’s follow-up attempt.

The Fusion will complete its two-match homestand when they host the Rochester Lancers at the Farmington Sports Arena Saturday, June 5 at 7 p.m. ET.