Brenden Aaronson helped Red Bull Salzburg capture the Austrian double this season. (Photo courtesy of MLS)
Here are some interesting U.S. men’s national team roster facts and trivia as provided by U.S. Soccer.
Head coach Gregg Berhalter called in 27 players for training camp prior to the May 30 game in Switzerland.
* As of the first day of training on May 25, the roster will hold an average age of 23 years, 37 days.
* Seventeen players are age 23 or younger.
* The 27-player squad averages 13 caps.
* Players ply their trade in 11 countries: Germany (7), England (4), USA (4), Belgium (3), Italy (2), Spain (2), Austria (1), France (1), Portugal (1), Switzerland (1) and Turkey (1).
* Seven players hold 20 or more caps: DeAndre Yedlin (62), Tim Ream (42), John Brooks (40), Kellyn Acosta (27), Weston McKennie (21), Matt Miazga (20) and Sebastian Lletget (20).
* Seventeen players took part in the USMNT’s last camp in March.
* Right back DeAndre Yedlin will partake in his first camp since November 2019, when he played in the 4-0 win over Cuba in the Concacaf Nations League group stage finale. Yedlin recently finished his first season with Galatasaray in Turkey.
* Midfielder Julian Green earned his first call-up under Berhalter. The 2014 World Cup veteran will seek his first cap since Nov. 15, 2018 against England. Green has registered nine goals and three assists in 32 matches to put Greuther Fürth in position for either automatic promotion to the Bundesliga or the promotion/relegation playoff going into the final match of the season Sunday.
* Three of the four uncapped players will take part in their first USMNT camp: goalkeeper David Ochoa, defender Justin Che and forward Matthew Hoppe.
* Hoppe burst onto the scene for Schalke this season, becoming the first American to record a hat-trick in the Bundesliga during the club’s 4-0 win over Hoffenheim Jan. 9. The Yorba Linda, Calif. product registered six goals in 21 league appearances this campaign.
* David Ochoa, 21, was the USA’s goalkeeper during March’s Concacaf Olympic Qualifying Championship and has started all four matches for Real Salt Lake this season.
* A product of the FC Dallas Academy, 17-year-old defender Justin Che has made seven appearances for Bayern Munich II since joining the side on loan in January.
* Six players on the roster have already lifted silverware during the European season: Brenden Aaronson (Austrian Bundesliga, ÖFB Cup), Sergiño Dest (Spanish Copa del Rey), Weston McKennie (Coppa Italia, Italian Super Cup), Mark McKenzie (Belgian Cup), Gio Reyna (German DFB Pokal), Jordan Siebatcheu (Swiss Super League).
* Two more players could still win silverware before coming to camp. Ethan Horvath and Club Brugge could clinch the Belgian Jupiler League as early as Thursday afternoon, while Tim Weah and Lille can claim the French Ligue 1 title with a win this weekend.
* Brenden Aaronson will come to camp on the heels of winning the Austrian Bundesliga and ÖFB Cup with Red Bull Salzburg. The 20-year-old double-winner has contributed seven goals and three assists in 24 appearances across all competitions since joining Salzburg in January.
* Siebatcheu will take part in his second camp after making his USMNT debut in March. Siebatcheu recorded 15 goals in 42 appearances across all competitions while playing on loan for BSC Young Boys, helping the side clinch the Swiss Super League title before signing with the club through 2024 earlier this week.