Tani Oluwaseyi scored twice and assisted on another. (Photo courtesy of St. John’s)

QUEENS, N.Y. – The St. John’s University men scored three times in the opening 13 minutes and never looked back, recording a 4-2 victory over Stony Brook University at Belson Stadium Tuesday afternoon.

Tani Oluwaseyi assisted on the game’s first goal and scored two more, finishing with a career-high five points. The reigning Big East offensive player of the year and MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List selection has three goals in two games this season.

Wesley Leggett recorded his first points as a Johnnie, scoring just nine seconds into the game before assisting on an Oluwaseyi goal in the 64th minute.

Einar Lye added the team’s other goal of the match, cashing in on a penalty kick opportunity in the game’s opening minutes.

St. John’s (2-0-0) got on the board nine seconds after the opening kickoff. Leggett forced a turnover before finding Oluwaseyi down the right side of the box. Oluwaseyi then sent a pass back into the middle of the field for Leggett, who buried it home. The goal, believed to be the fastest from opening kick in program history, was three seconds off the NCAA record for the quickest goal in a game. That mark belongs to Indiana Universityy’s Kevin Noschang against the University of Kentucky in 2008.

Nine minutes later, the Red Storm extended the lead to 2-0, as Lye drew a penalty in the box on a charging Edmond Kaiser before beating the Stony Brook goalkeeper on the ensuing spot kick.

The Red Storm bumped the advantage to 3-0 in the 13th minutte. Following a lackadaisical pass between Stony Brook defenders in their own zone, Oluwaseyi picked the pocket of a Seawolves center back and converted on the resulting one-on-one chance.

A costly defensive zone turnover in the 26th minutes allowed Stony Brook to record its first goal, as Trevor Harrison picked up possession on the end line before finishing the easy chance in front.

Coming out of the intermission, Stony Brook (0-1-0) increased its pressure in the attacking third and eventually broke through in the 62nd minute, pulling within one, 3-2, on a goal from Aki Solvason.

After Brandon Knapp narrowly missed increasing the St. John’s lead with a header that sailed wide in the 63rd minute, the Red Storm struck a minute later. Taking possession of the ball just inside the midfield line, Leggett passed across his body to a streaking Oluwaseyi. He fired shot from just inside the 18 that beat the keeper and made it a 4-2 game.

St. John’s outshot Stony Brook, 15-6, including an 8-4 edge in shots on goal.

Goalkeepers Jan Hoffelner and Luka Gavran each played one half, allowing one goal and making one save apiece. Hoffelner logged the win, his first of the year after Gavran recorded the victory against Saint Joe’s.

St. John’s will begin Big East against Seton Hall University Saturday at 3 p.m.