Union head coach Jim Curtin congratulate Serigio Santos after his hat-trick. (Bill Streicher | Imagn)
Philadelphia Union forward Sergio Santos Monday was voted the Major League Soccer player of the week for the 20th week of the MLS season.
Santos recorded a hat-trick in 69 minutes played to help Philadelphia secure a dominant 5-0 win over Toronto FC at Subaru Park Saturday night. Santos has scored seven goals this season, tied for 12th-most in the league and most on the Union. Philadelphia (12-3-5, 41 points) is tied for first place in the Eastern Conference.
Philadelphia took a 1-0 lead in the 27th minute when Santos finished a Kai Wagner cross with a header into the back right of the net (watch goal). Following two additional Union goals, Santos increased the lead to 4-0 in the 63rd minute, this time finishing another Wagner cross into the box with a left footed shot (watch goal).
Santos capped a tremendous match with his first career MLS hat-trick to give the Union a decisive 5-0 advantage in the 68th minute. Brenden Aaronson led the Union on a breakaway and found Santos open in front of goal, where the 26-year-old Brazilian finished with a deft left footed touch past the goalkeeper (watch goal).
Philadelphia continues action this week when hosting Chicago Fire FC on Wednesday (7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN+) and traveling to face Columbus Crew SC on Sunday (3:30 p.m. ET, ABC / TSN).
The MLS player of the week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.