Miami – Concacaf said Thursday that its World Cup qualifying process “has been compromised” by the COVID-19 pandemic and “will be changed.”
Making a statement after FIFA announced that the confederation’s September window of international dates had been delayed, Concacaf said that it would work with the new framework and FIFA to finalize a new WCQ format for the region.
The hexagonal, in which the U.S. men’s national team was to participate, was to kick off in September.
“The challenges presented by postponements to the football calendar, and the incomplete FIFA rankings cycle in our confederation, means our current World Cup qualifying process has been compromised and will be changed,” Concacaf said in a statement.
The confederation added that it will reorganize the Concacaf Road to Gold Cup qualifiers (originally scheduled for March and June 2020), the Concacaf Nations League finals (originally scheduled for June 2020) and a range of other suspended competitions.
Concacaf said that an update on World Cup qualifying and other Concacaf men’s international competitions will be provided in the coming weeks.
“We will also continue to work with FIFA and the other confederations on the international match calendar process for women’s football to ensure we are well placed to support the return of the international women’s game as soon as possible,” a statement said.