CHICAGO – U.S. Soccer Thursday announced the start of the fourth annual SheBelieves Hero contest ahead of the 2020 SheBelieves Cup and as part of the organization’s SheBelieves movement.
The contest is a nationwide search for someone who embodies the SheBelieves spirit and provides an opportunity for U.S. Soccer, former players and fans to acknowledge the incredible efforts of those who have worked to improve the lives of others or communities. The contest runs from Jan. 16-Feb. 17 and will culminate in one young person between the ages of 13-17 being named the 2020 SheBelieves Hero.
According to U.S. Soccer, a SheBelieves Hero is a leader in their community, a confident and passionate individual who empowers others around them and works to make a positive difference in the world.
The 2020 SheBelieves Hero will win a trip for two to the USWNT’s SheBelieves Cup match at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J., on March 8 when the USA takes on Spain. As part of this once in a lifetime experience, the winner will be invited to USWNT training, honored on-field during match day, receive U.S. Soccer gear, and more.
How to participate:
* To enter, post a video, photo, or written text to Instagram or Twitter starting Thursday, Jan. 16 at 11 a.m. CT and before 11:59 p.m. CT on Thursday, Jan. 30, stating how you or the nominee embody the SheBelieves qualities. Make sure the post uses both hashtags #SheBelievesHero and #contest. (See the complete rules).
* Include the full name, hometown and age about yourself or your nominee in the post.
* The contest submitter must be at least 13 years of age or older at the time of entry. If under the age of 18, the parent or guardian of the nominated individual and of the submitter must have approved the nomination and submission of the video. The submitter must nominate a living person whose age at the time of nomination is between 13 and 17 years of age.
* Each post must contain at least 14 characters and no more than 280 in length and must be in English. Limit one Tweet/Post/Entry per person/social media account.
* Entries will be evaluated by a panel of judges and will be narrowed down to five finalists. Entries will be ranked on the following criteria: (a) Passion for empowering and making a difference in her community or elsewhere, (b) Creativity/originality of submission, (c) Consistency of service and lasting impact.
* The five finalists’ entries will be shared on ussoccer.com and U.S. Soccer social media channels to allow the public to “vote” for their favorite submission on ussoccer.com.
* The SheBelieves Hero Contest is open only to individuals who are legal U.S. residents of one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.
* By submitting your entry, you agree to abide by, and cause your nominee to abide by, the contest official rules. Approximate retail value of the prize is $1,300.
Conceived and developed by U.S. Soccer and inspired by the Women’s National Team players, SheBelieves is a movement that encourages girls and women of all ages to accomplish their goals and dreams, athletic or otherwise. SheBelieves was launched in the run-up to the 2015 Women’s World Cup and has since evolved into a special series of events that bring a powerful message of empowerment and that of believing in yourself into communities across the nation.