COLLEGE PARK, Md. — Brett St. Martin scored eight minutes into extratime as No. 25 Maryland handed No. 9 St. John’s its first loss of the season at Ludwig Field Monday night.

St. John’s (7-1-0) appeared to neutralize the initial threat off the corner kick, as Luka Gavran punched the ball outside the box. The Red Storm keeper, however, was knocked to the ground on the play and was unable to recover in time to stop a second chance and a deflection from Maryland (4-0).

The Red Storm was outshot for the first time this season, as the Terrapins recorded 12 chances to the Johnnies’ seven. Four of the Red Storm’s seven tries were on target, but Maryland keeper Niklas Neumann saved them all.

Maryland came out of the gate firing, logging two scoring chances in the opening three minutes.

St. John’s began to swing momentum in its favor a few minutes later, as Matt Forster found himself with an open look in the box in the 11th minute, but Neumann smothered it with his first save.

The visitors recorded their fair share of chances after Niko Petridis, Tani Oluwaseyi and Johan Aquilon checked into the game late in the half as both teams battled to a halftime scoreless tie.

Three minutes into the second half, the Terps’ Eric Matzelevich missed just wide twice.

The Red Storm’s best look of the night to that point came in the 57th minute, as Oluwaseyi corralled a pass from Skage Simonsen, but his try sailed just wide of the post.

Brandon Knapp sent a shot on target in the 67th minute, but Neumann made his third save. Petridis fired off another try a minute later, but sent it wide.

Brandon Duarte and Matt Forster made it four chances in as many minutes in the 70th minute, as the former was turned aside on a header before Forster missed a great look at goal in front off a cross from Petridis.

Maryland drew a foul just outside the top left corner of the box in the 95th minute and was rewarded with a dangerous free kick. Brayan Padilla sent a ball toward the back post for Chris Rindov, but his header missed wide.

St. John’s will look to rebound, resuming its Big East schedule with a game against Butler University Saturday at 7 p.m.