ROCHESTER, N.Y. — Soccer is a Kick in the Grass, North America’s longest running soccer radio show, celebrates its 25th anniversary on the air with a special 90-minute show Monday, starting at 6:30 pm ET.
The show airs live on WYSL Radio, AM 1040 and FM 92.1 and 95.5 West, and streaming live on the show’s website at www.soccerisakickinthegrass.com.
Special guests on the 25th anniversary show include two native Rochestarians who have made significant contributions to US soccer:
* Abby Wambach – 2019 National Soccer Hall of Fame inductee, six-time winner of the U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year award, 2012 FIFA World Player of the Year, the all-time leading scorer (men’s and women’s) in international soccer history (184 goals), twice Olympic Gold Medalist (2004 and 2012) and 2015 World Cup Champion
* Dave Sarachan – current coach of North Carolina FC of the USL Championship, former head coach of the US Men’s National Team, Assistant Coach of the US Men’s National Team, head coach of the MLS Chicago Fire and assistant/associate coach of DC United and the Los Angeles Galaxy, player in the original North American Soccer League for the Rochester Lancers and a member of the Lancers Wall of Fame
The special guest host for the anniversary show will be Charlie Schiano, the founder of Soccer is a Kick in the Grass in 1994 and the former Chairman of the Board of the NASL Rochester Lancers. Schiano will join host Joe Sirianni (Rochester Lancers trainer for 15 seasons) and co-host Andrew Battisti (Rochester Lancers historian and broadcaster), along with international correspondent Dick Howard (1970 NASL Champion with the Lancers and a Canadian Soccer Hall of Famer) and US Soccer correspondent and former Rochester Lancers journalist Michael Lewis of Front Row Soccer, who will broadcast live from France where he is covering the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
Soccer is a Kick in the Grass has promoted soccer in the Rochester area for 25 years by covering the 4 time USL Champions and 1999 US Open Cup winning Rochester Rhinos, the 3 time champion Western New York Flash (now the North Carolina Courage) and the current Rochester Lancers and Lady Lancers extensively, including interviewing many of the players and coaches on the teams. In addition, a portion of every show is devoted to US Soccer and the world’s game.
Soccer is a Kick in the Grass has had many of the stars of North American soccer as guests, including:
* Members of the 2019 US FIFA Women’s World Cup Team Carli Lloyd, Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe, Tobin Heath, Ashlyn Harris, Sam Mewis, Abby Dahlkemper, Adrianna Franch and Jess McDonald
* 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup International Players Marta (Brazil), Christine Sinclair and Sabrina D’Angelo (Canada), Sam Kerr, Alanna Kennedy, Teigen Allen and Lydia Williams (Australia), Ali Riley and Abby Erceg (New Zealand), Caroline Seger (Sweden) and Estelle Johnson (Cameroon)
* US Women National Team players Abby Wambach, Hope Solo, Christie Rampone, McCall Zerboni, Meghan Klingenberg and Lynn Williams
* US Men’s National Team and MLS players Jozy Altidore, Kyle Beckerman, Nick Rimando, Tim Melia, Dax McCarty, Stuart Holden, Jonathan Bornstein, Jeff Cunningham, Robbie Rogers, Frankie Hejduk, Freddy Adu, John Harkes, Marcelo Balboa, Paul Caligiuri and Eric Wynalda
* US National Team coaches Bob Bradley, Chris Woods, Jesse Marsch, Tom Sermanni, the late Tony DiCiccio and Brighton’s Dave Sarachan
* Former NASL stars Shep Messing, Werner Roth, Jim Pollihan, Don Droege, Jack Brand, Ray Hudson, Branko Segota, Carlos Metidieri, Charlie Mitchell, Eli Durante and the late Giorgio Chinaglia and Mike Stojanovic