Denis Hamlett: “Recent reports of Thierry Henry joining the New York Red Bulls are false.” (Andy Mead/YCJ Photo)

By Michael Lewis

FrontRowSoccer.com Editor

Red Bulls sporting director Denis Hamlett has shot down reports of former striker Thierry Henry joining the Major League Soccer club.

In a statement released by the team Monday afternoon, Hamlett said: “Recent reports of Thierry Henry joining the New York Red Bulls are false.”

Reports have emanated out of England that the 1998 World Cup winner would join his former club as head coach, replacing Chris Armas. Sky Sports, the Daily Mail and Daily Mirror were among the media that originated the story last week.

Sky Sports News said it was understood that the soccer and commercial parts of Red Bull, the team’s owners, agreed to bring Henry back to the team. Red Bull head of global soccer Oliver Mintzlaff was set to fly to London to finalize a deal with the former Arsenal great.

Last week FrontRowSoccer.com reported that the Red Bulls had contacted Henry about assuming a position with the team, although it was not specific as to which role it would have been.

Under Armas the reigning Supporters Shield champions, are in 10th place in the Eastern Conference with a 1-4-2 mark and only five points after seven games. The Red Bulls dropped a 1-0 decision at the New England Revolution Saturday night.

Armas took over from Jesse Marsch, who went to Red Bull Salzburg to become assistant coach before he was named head coach for next season.

Henry, 41, was an assistant coach with the Belgium national team at the 2018 World Cup. His first venture into club coaching lasted three months before he was fired by Monaco (France) in January.