The Long Island Junior Soccer League’s 37th annual convention is set for the Huntington Hilton in Melville, N.Y. March 8-10.
Some 10,000 people are expected to attend the three-day event.
The convention kicks off with the annual awards dinner as the volunteer of the year from LIJSL clubs will be honored Friday, March 8 at 7 p.m. There also will be four new members inducted into the LISJL hall of fame — John Davis from the East Islip Soccer Club, the West Islip Soccer Club’s Gary Kofsky, Diana Riccardi of the New Hyde Park Wildcats and Robert Walters of the Baldwin Eagles.
There is a fee for attending the dinner.
Throughout the day Saturday, March 9 and Sunday morning, March 10, there will be LIJSL Sportsmanship Award presentations, meetings for club presidents, coaches and volunteers plus coaches and referee clinics as thousands of people purchase soccer items.
* Vendors from around the world. To register as a vendor, log on to: http://lijslsoccer.siplay.com/site/
* Three Long Island Legends Forum. Red Bulls coach Chris Armas, Red Bulls Academy director Bob Montgomery plus former Cosmos and New York Arrows goalkeeper and current Red Bulls commentator Shep Messing have a candid conversation about the state of the game in Salon D Saturday at 3 p.m.
* A bilingual College Forum (English/Spanish) for high school freshmen, sophomores and juniors in Salon D Saturday from 1-3 p.m.. The expert panel will talk about what every parent and player needs to know, including NCAA requirements, financial aid packages plus picking the college that’s right for you.
* American Red Cross CPR/AED Training, conducted by the Long Island Sports Care Group on Saturday from 10 a.m.-noon in the Mattituck Room
* United Soccer Coaches 4v4 Diploma, a three-hour lesson designed for those who will be coaching youth soccer players from 4 to 10 years of age in Salon D Sunday from 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Admission to the convention Saturday and Sunday is fee.
For more information about the convention, visit:
http://www.lijsoccer.com/pages/convention.php or contact the league at 631-648-9020.