Rocco B. Commisso: “I do not have definitive plans about anything other than what I am going to do in the next three months.”     (FrontRowSoccer.com Photo)

By Michael Lewis

FrontRowSoccer.com Editor

Rocco B. Commisso admitted Thursday he doesn’t have plans at the moment for the Cosmos to play in 2019.

“I do not have definitive plans about anything other than what I am going to do in the next three months,” Commisso said on a Thursday afternoon media conference call.

On Tuesday, the North American Soccer League announced it was canceling its 2018 season. It was hopeful of starting a fall season in August.

So, Commisso will have to make up his mind on whether to revive the Cosmos, who won three NASL titles since returning to competitive soccer in 2013. He did say that he lost $18-$19 million operating the club after he became owner in January 2017.

“The next three months we’re going to continue the academy, which has about 60 people,” he said. “And we’re going to have the NPSL, probably at Mitchel Field and some games at Columbia. Beyond that, I have not defined the plans within my own head on what’s going to happen to the Cosmos next year. End of story.”

The Cosmos B team is scheduled to play in the National Premier Soccer League, starting on May 5. At the present time, there is no coach or players in place.

“We’re not going to disclose that,” Commisso said, adding that last year the Cosmos B held a tryout at the end of March for the start of the 2017 season in May.

Commisso had paid Cosmos front office employees and several players their salaries through the end of February. He added that he had never had to lay off anyone at Mediacom, which he owns.

In his clsoing remarks, Commisso said, “I’m sorry for our players, I’m sorry for our front office. I’m sorry for our fans or anything that we haven’t delivered on. It’s a shame what’s taken place and we’ll see what takes place next.”