Who else but Bradley Wright-Phillips scored the Red Bulls’ first goal of the preseason. (Kamil Krzaczynski-USA TODAY Sports)
TAMPA, Fla. — The Red Bulls opened their preseason slate with a unique exhibition match against the University of South Florida at Corbett Stadium on the USF Campus Saturday morning.
The encounter featured three 30-minute periods. The Red Bulls used three predetermined lineups for each period. Their first group won, 2-0, the second group earned a 1-0 victory and group three prevailed, 4-0.
Group 1: RBNY 2, USF 0
Luis Robles; Kyle Duncan, Ish Jome, Tommy Redding, Aurelien Collin, Andrew Tinari, Steven Echevarria, Daniel Royer, Florian Valot, Bradley Wright Phillips, Stefano Bonomo
Bradley Wright-Phillips 6′ (Steven Echevarria), Daniel Royer 16′ (Ish Jome)
* Early on, Echevarria generated the Red Bulls’ first opportunity from midfield as he looped a pass over the USF backline to Wright-Phillips. BWP took the pass in stride and finished to the near post in the sixth minute.
* Jome forced a turnover inside the USF defensive third and sent a ball into the box for Royer, who finished in the 16th minute.
Group 2: RBNY 1, USF 0
Ryan Meara; Jordan Scarlett, Aaron Long, Kevin Politz, Niko De Vera, Sean Davis, Michael Amir Murillo, Alex Muyl (Ben Mines, 19′), Muhamed Keita, Amando Moreno, Carlos Rivas
Ben Mines 24′ (Niko De Vera)
* Mines, who came in for Muyl midway through the period, finished a chance at the far post after a cross from 2018 MLS SuperDraft pick De Vera.
Group 3: RBNY 4, USF 0
Evan Louro; Connor Lade, Hassan Ndam, Fidel Escobar, Andrew Lombard (Brian White, 26′), Cristian Casseres, Jr., Felipe, Ethan Kutler, Vincent Bezecourt, Derrick Etienne Jr., Tom Barlow
Tom Barlow 4′ (Andrew Lombard, Vincent Bezecourt), Cristian Casseres, Jr. 7′, Derrick Etienne Jr. 26′ (Casseres, Jr.), Vincent Bezecourt 28′ (Brian White)
* New York came out strong, scoring two quick goals through the opening seven minutes. Bezecourt began the chance as he swung a pass to the right side for Lombard, who dribbled towards the endline and played the ball into the six-yard box for 2018 draft pick Barlow to redirect.
* Minutes later, Casseres, Jr. curled in a shot from outside the 18-yard box to double the lead.
* In the 24th minute, Casseres, Jr. earned possession deep inside the USF defensive third and fed to his right for Etienne, Jr., who chipped over the diving USF goalkeeper to raise the lead to 3-0.
* Minutes later White regained possession for the Red Bulls in USF territory and found Bezecourt, who found the back of the net with a low shot for the fourth goal.