Vera’s SC won the BAYSL Boys U-12 title. (Photo courtesy of ENYYSA, BAYSL)
The Big Apple Youth Soccer League recently crowned six champions in as many age divisions at Corona-Flushing Meadows Park in Queens, N.Y.
The finals pitted the teams that finished one-two in each division.
In the small-sided finals:
* Vera’s SC defeated Latin Star Aguilas Boys, 6-1, in Boys Under-9
* Las Islas Malvinas shut out Latin Star Halcones, 3-0, in Boys U-10
* NorthStar Soccer recorded a 3-1 win over New York Manchester in the Boys U-11 title match
* And Vera’s SC topped NorthStar Soccer, 4-3, in Boys U-12.
In full-sided finals:
* In the Boys U-13 championship game between two teams named “Kids,” the Academia Super Kids defeated New York Kids, 2-0.
* In the Boys U-14 match, NorthStar Soccer blanked Academia Super Kids, 1-0, in a very tight game.
Latin Star won the Boys U-16 championship outright and did not have to play in a final.
“The kids came, they were happy and they were very well-behaved during our six final games,” said BAYSL founder and president Luis Montoya, also the third vice president of the Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association. “All of them received trophies and medals and the older age groups received a soccer ball, too.”
From 300 to 400 new players are expected to register in the league in 2018, according to Montoya.