Harry Cooksley scored St. John’s lone goal. (Photo courtesy of St. John’s Communications Dept.)

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The St. John’s University men could not overcome a two-goal deficit and suffered a 2-1 defeat to Georgetown University in the Big East semifinals at Shaw Field Wednesday afternoon.

The Red Storm, which defeated the Hoyas (13-3-2) during the regualr season, fell to 9-7-3.

“I thought we played better in this game than we did the day that we beat Georgetown,” St. John’s head coach Dr. Dave Masur said. “We had more quality chances. We broke them down in transition. They’re a real dangerous team. I thought our defensive transition wasn’t quite as good and that’s where they got the one goal and then they scored off the set piece where Wilhelm Nilsson went out.

“Andrew Withers made some really great saves as well, but I really thought it was a fairly even game. We went toe to toe with them and had a lot of good moments as a team. I’m just sad to see that our season potentially comes to close. The guys have really worked so hard and have learned how to really push together and battle for each other, run for each other and sacrifice for each other. When you put a lot into something it hurts when it doesn’t go your way and we saw that today.”

Harry Cooksley found the back of the net for the Red Storm, his fourth goal this season. Alistair Johnston picked up his fourth assist.

Withers registered six saves for the Red Storm.

The Red Storm recorded 19 shots, its second-highest total of the season.

Georgetown struck 74 seconds into the game, as Achara buried a cross from Declan McCabe.

After falling behind, the Red Storm generated several chances, firing off nine shots the rest of the half, but failing to find the back of the net. The Johnnies also earned four corners to the Hoyas’ one in the opening half.

The Red Storm fired off the opening five shots of the second half, including a Cooksley free kick at the top of the box that went just over the bar.

In the 64th minute, the Johnnies registered their best chance of the game to that point, as Filippo Ricupati rang a shot off the post from inside the six-yard box.

Two minutes later, Georgetown added another goal for a 2-0 lead. Christopher Lemma sent a corner kick from the right side in front for Big East freshman of the year Derek Dodson, who finished.

In the 77th, St. John’s cut the deficit in half as the Red Storm took advantage of a Georgetown error. On a throw-in near midfield, a Hoyas player attempted to send it to his back line, but did not put enough force behind it. Johnston stole the ball before finding Cooksley in motion with a pass through traffic. The senior moved to his right before sliding it past keeper J.T. Marcinkowski.

Front Row Soccer editor Michael Lewis has covered 13 World Cups (eight men, five women), seven Olympics and 25 MLS Cups. He has written about New York City FC, New York Cosmos, the New York Red Bulls and both U.S. national teams for Newsday and has penned a soccer history column for the Guardian.com. Lewis, who has been honored by the Press Club of Long Island and National Soccer Coaches Association of America, is the former editor of BigAppleSoccer.com. He has written seven books about the beautiful game and has published ALIVE AND KICKING The incredible but true story of the Rochester Lancers. It is available at Amazon.com.