Eric Wynalda: “I think that soccer will eventually win and the NASL and this great club will continue to play football in this country.” (Andy Mead/YCJ Photo)
By Michael Lewis
The North American Soccer League has at least one high-profile supporter in its antitrust lawsuit against U.S. Soccer — Eric Wynalda.
Wynalda, a member of the National Soccer Hall of Fame who has declared his candidacy for U.S. Soccer president, back the league’s legal action. He was named coach of the NASL’s Orange County expansion team for the 2018 season.
“I think they’re well within their rights,” he told sideline reporter Alex Datt on MSG Networks during the Cosmos’ 1-0 win over Puerto Rico FC Sunday. “I am in total agreement with what Rocco said.”
Rocco B. Commisso is the Cosmos’ owner, who spoke on MSG about the lawsuit earlier in the game (https://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2017/10/01/roccos-message-shame-anyone-tried-shut-club/)
The NASL filed an antitrust lawsuit against U.S. Soccer Sept. 19.
“You just can’t make unilateral decisions and make soccer go away [especially with] a club like that, which in my opinion represents everything that soccer should in this country,” Wynalda added. “I think that it will come to a head at the end of the month. At the end of October we’ll have a decision and I think that soccer will eventually win and the NASL and this great club will continue to play football in this country.”
Wynalda, who was in New York for business, decided to take in the Cosmos game at MCU Park in Brooklyn. He worked against the Cosmos as the technical director and coach of the Atlanta Silverbacks. They lost to the Cosmos in Soccer Bowl 2013.
“I have an appreciation for this league that most don’t have,” he said. “It’s probably why I was very keen on coming here today.”
Wynalda is an analyst for Fox Sports 1.