PHILADELPHIA – Led by a four-point effort from senior Harry Cooksley, the St. John’s University men cruised to a 3-0 victory in its season opener against Drexel University on Friday night at Vidas Field.

Cooksley scored the game-winner in the 13th minute before assisting on two late goals from sophomores Alistair Johnston and Matt Forster.

Johnston, a Big East all-freshman honoree in 2016, found the back of net for the fifth time in his career, while Forster, who played just four games last season before being sidelined with injury, scored for the first time in red and white.

Cooksley’s four points were the most by a St. John’s player in a season opener since at least 2007, the first year for which game-by-game records are readily available.

Andrew Withers, who finished eighth in Division I in save percentage in 2016, needed three saves to record his clean sheet.

The victory marked the first in a season opener for the Red Storm since the NCAA Division I Tournament season of 2013, when a 2-1 win over Fairleigh Dickinson helped propel the Johnnies to a 7-2 record in non-conference play. The last time the Red Storm opened the season with a victory in a true road game came in the College Cup campaign of 2008, when St. John’s topped No. 18 Virginia, 1-0, in Charlottesville.

The Red Storm’s three goals are the most by the squad in a season opener since 2012, when the Johnnies downed Boston University by the same 3-0 margin at Belson Stadium.

St. John’s outshot Drexel 18-8.

The Red Storm wasted no time finding the back of the net, converting on the team’s first shot attempt of the season in the 13th minute. After dominating possession in the opening few minutes, Cooksley muscled his way to control of a 50-50 ball near the top right corner of the box. Almost immediately after taking possession, Cooksley sent a ball on the ground to the bottom left corner of the cage, slipping it past the keeper and giving the Red Storm a 1-0 advantage.

The Johnnies maintained their advantage in the possession game to start the second half, but proved unable to convert on their chances in the early going. That all changed in the 73rd minute, when the Red Storm unloaded two goals in the span of just two minutes.

After corralling a long pass and bringing the ball into the box, Cooksley drew the attention of two Drexel defenders. Reading the pressure, the senior deftly dropped the ball back to a trailing Johnston, who buried the wide-open attempt and bumped the Red Storm lead to 2-0.

Just about 100 seconds later, Cooksley again started a productive sequence for the Johnnies, playing a through-ball into the zone for Forster, who shook his defender before beating Jordan to the near side and putting the game out of reach.

The Red Storm returns to action, taking on Loyola Maryland in Baltimore Sunday at 7 p.m.