By Jay Mwamba Contributor

After flirting with relegation last fall, New York Greek Americans completed a remarkable spring comeback on Thursday night to upset titlists Lansdowne Bhoys, 1-0, and reach next Friday’s Cosmopolitan Soccer League championship game.

Kiwi Colin Murphy scored before halftime at Tibbetts Brook Park to script an all-Hellenic final against archrivals Pancyprian Freedoms at St. John’s University Friday, June 9 at 8 p.m.

Pancyprian had outlasted another Irish side, Shamrocks, 12-11 in a marathon penalty shootout at St. Michael’s Playground the previous night to earn a shot at an eighth CSL title.


Eight-time league champions and four-time U.S. Open Cup winners Greek Americans were in the drop zone with a meager eight points from nine matches at the winter break. They regrouped during the hiatus and won seven of their remaining eight regular season fixtures – dropping points only away to Pancyprian in a 1-1 draw May 21.

That tie with Pancyprian proved vital in clinching a playoff spot as fourth place finishers after Cedar Stars Academy crashed 4-0 to the Shamrocks.

“We worked hard, so I’m excited to be in the final. It will be a great final,” said Richard Nuttall, NYGA’s English technical advisor.

For Lansdowne, the defeat ended its quest of becoming the first club since New York Hungaria 55 years ago to win four consecutive CSL titles. The club was division champions this season – for the sixth straight year.

“Tough loss for the Bhoys against a well-organized Greek American side,” Lansdowne president William McGrory said.


Pancyprian’s playoff victory over Shamrocks was nothing short of heroic either. Down 2-0 after six minutes, the team came back to lead 3-2 despite losing its only goalkeeper. The Rocks then equalized forcing the marathon shootout.

Andy O’Connell [4th] and Sean Reilly [6th] scored early for the home side.

The ever-dangerous Chris Megaloudis [35th] got one back.

After the Pancyprians lost their shot stopper to a horrific injury on the hour, midfielder John Koutsounadis went between the sticks for the Greek-Cypriots.

“Adam Himeno tied the game in the 65th minute and then Diogo Pereira put us ahead with a cracker from 35 yards in the 73rd,” Pancyprian general manager George Halkidis said.

But Kwesi Mills-Odoi threw the Irishmen — who finished second, ahead of Pancyprian — a lifeline nine minutes from time. It ended 3-3.

Before the ensuing shootout, Pancyprian changed goalies, handing the gloves to defender James Riley. It was a masterstroke as Riley saved two shots in addition to converting his attempt.

On target for the victors were Stefan Dimitrov, Megaloudis, Pereira, Panagiotis Halkidis, James Riley, Luis Esteves, John Koutsounadis, Franki Spanos, Panayiotis Onisiforou, Jeff Matteo, Dimitrov again and Megaloudis again.


In what’s turning into a successful campaign for the Greeks, their reserves saw off CD Iberia 5-2 at the Metropolitan Oval to advance to the John Kilby Cup final against NYAC next Sunday.

Dimitri Antonopoulos, Mario Gagliano and AJ Codispoti were among the scorers.

NYAC beat Stal Mielec 5-4 on penalties in their Kilby semifinal tie on Randalls Island after a 1-1 tie.

Kevin Strunk headed in NYAC’s leveler from a first-half corner kick. NYAC’s stand-in goalie Ale Sucre made an outstanding save to seal it.

Front Row Soccer editor Michael Lewis has covered 13 World Cups (eight men, five women), seven Olympics and 25 MLS Cups. He has written about New York City FC, New York Cosmos, the New York Red Bulls and both U.S. national teams for Newsday and has penned a soccer history column for the Lewis, who has been honored by the Press Club of Long Island and National Soccer Coaches Association of America, is the former editor of He has written seven books about the beautiful game and has published ALIVE AND KICKING The incredible but true story of the Rochester Lancers. It is available at