HARRISON, N.J. — The Red Bulls and Southern New Hampshire University will deliver a service dog in training to a local military veteran during Saturday’s Military Appreciation Match when the club hosts the New England Revolution at Red Bull Arena.
The veteran from Ronkonkoma, N.Y. also will be surprised with a full-tuition college scholarship from SNHU to support the transition from military to civilian life through higher education.
Events also will include:
* Honorary coin toss with a veteran
* More than 100 active members of the military and veterans will be holding the American flag on-field
* First 15,000 fans in attendance will receive a commemorative hat
* In partnership with Bayer & Community Hope, the club will collect toiletry supplies for active members of the military and veterans
* Letters also will be collected for active military members on the BULLevard. For every letter donated, the club will donate one dollar to A Million Thanks, an organization that delivers letters to U.S. troops throughout the world
The Red Bulls have partnered with Paws of War, an organization that trains and places rescued dogs with U.S. military veterans suffering the emotional effects of war, such as post-traumatic stress disorder. These dogs serve to provide independence for these veterans. The Red Bulls have also partnered with SNHU, the official education partner of the club and Major League Soccer, to help service members transition to civilian life through higher education.